Sharing Good Fortune - July 7th, 2007
On this day that has everyone thinking of good fortune - 07/07/07 - I really felt the need to share some of our good fortune.There are a few charities that we make sure we support each year.
Obviously, Susan G Komen for the Cure, is our primary charity and has been for the last 7 years. (Yes, I was involved with raising funds and awareness of the need for a cure to breast cancer, long before I was ever diagnosed.) I am most hopeful to be able to walk in the San Diego 3 Day on Nov 9th -11th, 2007 and have begun my fund raising efforts in earnest and my training in earnest, too - I have 4 months to prepare. My husband, Dave will once again be volunteering, by working the motorcycle route safety crew. Whether I make my goal of being able to walk the entire 60 miles in 3 Days or not - I am still fund raising for this cause that is so near and dear to my heart, and frankly, so near and dear to my continued survival from breast cancer.
If you are inclined to join me and donate to end Breast Cancer -
please go to their website - www.the3Day.org Click on '2007 San Diego 3 Day' , enter participant name - 'Holly Griffith' and donate online - any and all contributions are deeply appreciated. Thank you, with all of my heart.
The other charity has to do with continuing to actively support our troops. While this year, we were unable to help organize another So Cal Freedom Ride benefiting 'Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund' and The VFW's 'Military Order of the Cooties', as we have done for the last several years - I went looking on the internet, to see if someone else had picked up on the efforts in that regard. I found through 'Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund's' newsletter, a very worthwhile group that we contributed to today, in memory of our biker friend and Vietnam vet, Larry 'Bear' Hughes - the group is www.homesforourtroops.org .
They are a 501c charitable organization that raises funds for building or remodeling specially adapted homes for our most severely wounded veterans. For instance, installing latch doors instead of door knobs. We contributed, so that a badly injured US serviceman/woman, who put their life on the line for 'US' , can now have a keyless entry for a front door installed.
I continue to believe strongly that generosity of spirit and will needs to be acted upon.
I hope all of you have an exceptionally lucky 07/07/07, as I consider myself quite lucky today.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home