In My Garden Early Today
I planted my freesia and daffodil bulbs, awhile ago - this year, I planted them in pots, that I then tuck into the flowerbeds. My pink and white tulip bulbs, Angelique and Mount Tacoma are still chilling in the refrigerator (6 weeks) - to trick them into thinking they're in a climate more to their liking, so they will bloom. Yesterday, I picked up my flower seed packets at Armstrong Nursery - several varieties of Sweet Peas, especially the 'knee hi' and the 'double bouquet' varieties. which I started soaking the seeds before planting. I also picked up a couple of packets of Mission Bell Poppies, which are vibrant colors of red, yellow, orange and pink and Poppy 'Shirley', which are pastel colors of pink, lavendar, white and deeper purple and pink.Armstrong Nursery(*) also had a 'special publication' that I picked up a copy of, called 'Firescaping' - plants and trees that are 'fire resistant'. (Interesting note: Armstrong Garden Centers was founded by Canadian immigrant, John S Armstrong in Ontario, CA in 1889 and over his lifetime became the industry leader in the introduction of new rose and fruit tree varieties. They are the oldest full-service garden center in California today. One of my favorite fruit trees in my garden is my Armstrong 'fruit salad' tree - with grafted branches of Santa Rosa plum, nectarine, apricot and (2) varieties of peaches - all on the same tree - its a wonderful backyard garden tree. You get enough fruit to enjoy, but not so much that you have a lot of spoilage or have to go into the 'canning business' during harvest season.)
(*) That particular Armstrong Nursery on Portola and near El Toro Road, is the closest retail nursery to the south end of the recent Santiago Canyon Fire. I'm sure with the recent So Cal Fires - people are rethinking their landscaping around their homes - not only from a 'fire resistant', but also from a 'drought & heat' resistant view. Unlike my neighbors to the south, however, I am not going to live surrounded by cement, paver stones, gravel and a small area of grass (that they only have because the Homeowners Association won't let them pave that over too - I understand low maintenance, but give me a break!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home