Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Adriana and Her Friends

Thursday, July 16th - shortly after noon, Adriana's friend from her college years, Arpi arrived with the cutest little stuffed toy elephant bank. (Arpi is a financial planner.) She was thrilled to be able to see Adriana, in person, and to hold the baby.

Adriana had lived in the dorms at college and then had lived in an apt with (3) roommates. Throughout her college years, she had made terrific friends, who now are all coming to say hello and congratulations. Adriana is a first time mom at 27 years old, almost 28 years old, and her girlfriends are all about that age: bright young women with their bachelor's degrees, most with degrees in engineering, as that is what Adriana received her degree in - civil engineering. They are all young professional women. And I must say,they are a 'bevy of beauties', all of them with long dark hair and dark eyes and beautiful smiles and they are smart, very smart and witty - they are a lively crowd, Adriana's friends.
Adriana is the first one of their circle of friends to have gotten married and now to have a baby, so they are coming en mass to see Adriana and meet Millie.

It is so amazing to see the effect on not only them, but everyone who comes to visit, when they get the chance to hold newborn Millie in their arms - its magic and there are smiles everywhere and laughter and joy and Millie is just taking it all in.

I took a photo of Arpi holding Millie and then the door opened and Adriana's Mom Maria arrived, as expected: she has the 1 to 7 pm shift,until Brent gets there after work. Maria had been driven to the hospital by her oldest son, Adriana's older brother Danny, and sister-in-law Tricia and 7 yr old niece Isabella had come to visit too. (Danny and Tricia are elementary school teachers, so they are off for the summer.)

Changing of the guard. I gave them all a kiss hello and good-bye and made my exit from the room. With Adriana's voice following me out the door, "Thanks for the help this morning, Mom" , I smiled as I passed the nurses' station. (Adriana's nurses today were named 'Heidi' and 'Holly', too funny.)

It had been a wonderful morning spent with Adriana and Millie. I'm so glad I could share the time with them both. They're both doing great, which is such a blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home