Saturday, December 30, 2006

Side Effects and Flag at Half Mast

I awoke at 3 am and took another (2) Calms. I'm chemo flashing again - not fun.
I awoke at 8 am with a bad headache and a flu like feeling in my head, neck and shoulders - took (2) Tylenol Ex Strength caplets and drank a shake for breakfast - not hungry, and went back to sleep. My eyes were sensitive to the light and I felt achy and chilled. I had pain in the right axilla area - where the tumors are. My eyelids are puffy.
9:30 am - I woke up feeling better. Once Dave felt as though I was OK, he left to run errands.

I had been told that flu like effects were a possible side effect of this chemo.
I took more Tylenol with lunch. My appetite is good and I have no nausea. The aches and chilled feeling subsided. I noticed, aside from the puffy eyelids, that I have about 1/2 as many eyelashes as I did yesterday - not a lot to put mascara on anymore.

Today was a very pretty day, weather wise - clear, calm and in the high 60's and I felt better and really wanted to go for a drive - to have a change of scenery - so that's what Dave and I did - we drove through Live Oak Canyon, then through Santiago Canyon, then down the 261 Toll Road to Jamboree to MacArthur to Pacific Coast Hwy - the visibility off the Pacific Coast was amazing - lots of boats off the coast and people out and about soaking up the sunshine.
We drove along Corona del Mar Beach and then back up to PCH and up through Newport Coast, caught the 73 Toll Road to Laguna Canyon Road - where they have finally completed the road construction, up the 133 Toll Road, to the 241 Toll Road and home - 2 hours worth of drive. A beautiful drive, but maybe a bit too much - I didn't feel well when we got home.
The ill feeling passed pretty quickly and I relaxed in my chair - drinking water - a lot of water.

Dave and I watched the coverage of former President Gerald R Ford's funeral - both this morning in Palm Springs, CA and then the state funeral in Washington, DC this evening.
I was particularly moved by the stops of the motorcade in front of the WWII Memorial and the piping aboard whistle salute in honor of the President, a WWII Naval officer and then the lying in repose before the door to the House of Representatives Chamber. But what set the tears streaming was watching Betty Ford and realizing she is a breast cancer survivor and now 88 years old.

Our flag is flying at half mast in honor of President Ford - he served as President while Dave and I were in high school and the '76 Presidential Election was the first election that Dave and I were able to vote in - a very memorable time for us.

Dave and I took down the decorations on our Christmas tree and got it taken outside - Dave did most of the work - I was a little bit of help, but he really worked. So he's recovering out in our spa and I am writing this blog.
I intend to take my sleeping medicine as soon as I finish this note and head to bed.
I am hopeful that I rest well tonight and don't repeat the last couple of nights of chemo flashing, headaches and body aches and pains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home