Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Good Progress with Gina for PT

Mar 11th Tues - my appt today with Gina went well. She noticed that I had a fair amount of swelling , not only where I have had it in the past - on the lower side of my right breast and along my right trunk and around the right axilla, but today it was swollen higher - not hysterical mind you, but more swollen and congested feeling above my right breast and below my right clavicle. She set to work doing the MLD (manual lymph drainage) techniques and the nerve flossing techniques and then when we finished after an hour, she took my measurements - my entire arm and hand on the right side has decreased and on my bicep it is down 7/10 of an inch. Again that may not sound like much, but it makes a big difference to me. I asked Gina if my lymphedema is comparable to other patients she has had that had breast lumpectomies or breast saving biopsies and then had radiation? She answered 'yes, it is comparable and not as severe as some she has seen, and I work with her and do my exercises.' I am her first case of BC where I didn't lose any of my breast tissue, just my lymph nodes - so there I go again, being 'unique'.

I was so glad to see her today feeling swollen and congested, not incredibly painful, but working up to real discomfort. I felt so much better after we finished. She showed me some new exercises to add to my twice daily routine - involving my pectoralis muscles and muscle flossing by rotating my neck, while stretching my arm out to my side - I do OK looking toward my right side, and looking straight ahead, but the challenge is looking left, while extending my right arm - OUCH! I am to stop if it starts to burn or tingle down my arm, but a stretching feeling is OK.

Gina's schedule is starting to really fill up again, as the local doctors realize that she has returned from maternity leave. There is more demand for trained lymphedema therapists then there are therapists available - I feel extremely fortunate to have her treating me. She still wants me to attend the lymphedema therapists' conference in San Diego as their 'test case'. I told her I would be happy to attend and let the 'best of the best' lymphedema therapists around the country assess my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home