Appt with Dr Okun - Blood Work - Normal Ranges
August 6th - I had my 3 month check-up appt with Dr Okun this morning. As I started to get anxious about the appt, I decided to take a dose of my sleeping medication the night before and really hydrated the day before to plump up my veins.I leaned into the infusion room and said hello to nurses Phyllis and Jill, teasing that I didn't intend to cross the threshold - they understood completely. Eddie decided to draw blood from the same vein that I had blood drawn from last week - it rolled, he waited and then just as he thought he'd have to re-try, it cooperated and gave blood - just a small vial's worth this time.(In fairness to those who treat me: as a result of having my lymph nodes removed on the right side, now they can only draw blood or run my blood pressure on my left arm - so it cuts their choices down by half.)
My blood counts are all within normal ranges - good news.
I chatted with Phyllis - her son, Colin is heading into his senior year of college and looking at grad schools. Eddie had gotten clever and had injured his eyes by getting too close to fireworks, fortunately, his eyes have healed. Dr Okun is doing OK. I told him that I thought of him, especially when former White House Press Secretary, Tony Snow recently passed away from cancer, because I know he had a lot of reassuring to do with his patients and that he carries their pain, stress and suffering with him. He shook his head in agreement. I gave him a hug - he seemed drained today. I told him about my travels of the last couple of months - Sequoia, Yosemite and Big Bear Lake and about getting ready to head to Milwaukee for the Harley-Davidson 105th Anniversary celebration. He smiled and was very pleased to hear that I was feeling so good and enjoying my life so much. He was pleased to hear that I had taken his recommendation to see Dr Janet Yazdi, as my internal medicine doctor. I agreed with him, her personality and mine are a good fit.
I said my 'hello and see you's to Sherrie and Casey, in front office, to Lynn and Debbie, in billing, Jill and Phyllis, nurses in the infusion room, Rita, who ran my blood sample, Eddie, who drew my blood and Dr Okun.
I made my appt for another 3 month check-up, which will be Nov 6th.
I took the stairs down the 3 floors to the lobby, not willing to wait for the slow elevator and headed out into the 90 degree heat, grateful that the appt went well, that I'm doing well and that I could leave. As I paid my $2.00 for an hour's parking, I really noticed how far they have come on the new patient tower at Mission Hospital. When the new tower is completed it will double the number of patient beds they will have at the hospital. They sounded the airhorn that the big construction crane was lifting more steel girders up into place on the upper floors. I left the hospital and drove home - another 3 months to the good - that works for me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home