Fire At Camp Pendleton Contained
When we got up early this morning and went outside, the smell of smoke from a fire was still lingering in the air. I checked visually, thought I saw smoke coming from nearby Santiago Canyon - so I went to the OCFA (Orange County Fire Authority) website to see if there was any news. Not finding anything, I goggled 'fire, Oct 8,2008, orange county,ca' and there it was. The LA Times reported that a fire of unknown cause had burned 1000 acres of Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, which is just to the south of us. They stated that the fire was no longer burning on its flanks and that it had been contained.I also saw a listing under FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) , showing a control burn training exercise scheduled to take place in Santiago Canyon - "techniques to use when fighting a wild fire", but the balance of the document, aside from that part of it, wouldn't load so I couldn't tell exactly what that meant. The smell of smoke dissipated by mid-morning - so that's a relief. Its good that its not as windy today, and its not as hot, only 82 degrees at 2 pm.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home