Election Day - pulling for my friend, Audrey
For me to NOT get caught up in the Election process takes some doing. I have long been interested in politics, actually the call to public service would be a more accurate description and have even worked on campaigns, at a very local level. I made phone calls and walked precincts. One year, I was even the moderator for a very heated school board candidate debate, when I lived in Santa Ana - the year of propostion 187.I even considered - albeit briefly - running for a seat on the school board.
I discovered I was much more effective focusing on one issue and seeing it through - I served as a member on several district committees over the 14 years that I was involved in SAUSD, whether it was acquiring and using technology in the classrooms, helping to design a new elementary school districtwide report card or helping to adopt and implement a K-8 school uniform policy districtwide.
I was an advocate, a volunteer and an independent. I loved to build concensus, to see something that started as an idea and mere words be put into action and to see the results.
I am very fortunate to know a woman who I hold in the highest esteem and who can go from issue to issue and make the tough decisions - a public office holder for many years now.
She is tough when needed and compassionate at her core and one of the 'good' ones.
My friend, Audrey Noji is running for Santa Ana Unified School Board again this Election.
I hope for the sake of the kids and families of SAUSD that she is re-elected.
It will be a tough race. She won her last election by 400 votes to have the right to help 60,000 kids and their families make the most of the educational system.
I have known Audrey since she first campaigned when my son Brent, was just starting in kindergarten ('87 and there were only 23,000 kids in the district then) and I have so much respect for her tireless devotion to SAUSD. I watched her and another friend, Rob Balen, also one of the 'good' ones, get gray over the OC Bankruptcy years ago. I watched them prioritize over massive budget cuts to Education. I watched them weather all sorts of personal assaults hurled at them from a public that felt they had the right and yet always maintain a grace and dignity that was amazing. (I would have hurled something right back, but then I'm a BIKER!)
I was proud to campaign for both of them. As I no longer live in Santa Ana, I can't even cast a vote for my longtime friend. However, when I sent our contribution to her campaign - I sent pictures of our sons, who she watched grow up from kindergarten through high school and followed their progress after graduation. I thanked her yet again for running and wished her success. I shared the joyful news of Brent and Adriana's upcoming wedding - they met in high school in SAUSD, went to different colleges, graduated and now are getting married.
So while there is a lot that I think can be improved with our political system - I still find it fascinating and I'm wishing Audrey every success tonight and I'm wishing success to all the 'good' ones - we desperately need more of them!
I hope you exercised your right to cast an INFORMED VOTE today - I did.
It was another good day. Calling it a night early - I'll wait for the dust to settle and view the election results AFTER I get home tomorrow afternoon, 11/08, from my 3rd dose of chemo.
Positive, relaxed focus = good healing for me.
Thank you all for your prayers and love,
Holly

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home