Mon Mar 26th - Appt for Re-Scan MRI
I went back to Newport Diagnostics to have my pre-operation and post chemotherapy scan of my breast area by MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). Newport Diagnostics is where I had my original scans. They are the ones that found the cancer and diagnosed me back in early Sept 2006. Their imaging equipment is state of the art and they just upgraded their MRI equipment last July, so now they have even better gradient visibility - which, because my breasts are dense, is especially important. So, I benefit from a comparison of 'apples to apples' - same state of the art equipment and scans done the same way and read by the same experts that found my cancer, in the first place. I find that all very reassuring.The MRI tech wasn't able to use my portacatheter, as it wasn't 'outlined' - so they tried to find a vein that would cooperate to inject the contrast medium, as I was having an MRI without and with contrast. Third time was good - back of my left hand, but even it tried to roll away, she was just more patient than the first technician, who apologized when she tried both the inside of my left arm at the elbow and the back of my left hand, which blew the vein and couldn't get them - just one more lovely bruise. The whole lying still on my stomach with my arms over my head for 35 minutes, was a real challenge this time, partly because of the port and for some reason, more pressure on my ribcage (probably because I have gained weight due to inactivity during these last 6 months) - but I managed. I just kept telling myself that I needed this test to give my doctors clear results, to make a good comparison between where I was and where I am now. It will also determine how involved my upcoming surgery is.
Even with the earplugs - being inside the coil tube, feet first, seemed much louder this time than I remembered from before - again I managed. It still felt strange to check the 'cancer' box on the case history and filling out all the medications I have been on was a long list - I'm a walking pharmacology study.
Dave and I had made good time in traffic from RSM to Newport Beach, so before my 5:15 appt for re-scan, we drove down to Corona del Mar Beach, actually Ocean Blvd on the bluff above the beach and just watched the sunlight sparkle silver on the waves of the Pacific Ocean - a beautiful sight. After my scan, I finished at 6:30 pm, Dave drove me home and we felt good about having one more thing done and off my treatment list. I'll have my results in a week and by then I should know when my surgery is scheduled to be done.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home