Saturday, June 23, 2007

Saturday - Household & Garden Projects Completed

Saturday - Dave and I had a lot of energy today and as a result got a lot of the projects that we wanted to tackle today - done. I worked out in the backyard - tending my garden before the sun really came out and it got too hot. I covered up and dampened the long sleeves of my top to stay cool and I put on my broad brimmed gardening hat and put on plenty of sunblock.
I brought in a bouquet of roses for the house - 'Betty Boop' and 'Simply Marvelous'. I picked a pretty 'Brigadoon' rosebud for the tiny crystal vase that my sister, Heidi had given me last November, to enjoy near my computer. I trimmed up the Salvia in the backyard, as it was encroaching on my 'Disneyland' rose, but I kept the flowering top, as that's a major nectar stop for the hummingbirds right now. Dave and I watched a Roadrunner hunting on the hillside below our house this morning - that was fun. The Roadrunner stood 2' tall and was using its long tail to counter balance - rocking it up and down. It would pause and then take off quickly and then stop just as quickly. I startled a Robin that was looking for a meal of worms in my rose garden - it watched me for awhile from my neighbor's chimney and finally decided to look someplace else for a meal. The hummingbirds kept swooping in, impatiently waiting for me to finish - they know how long it takes for the nectar to fill back up in the flowers and I was cutting into their mealtime.
Dave tackled finishing the project I had started earlier in the week - that of reconfiguring our bathroom linen closet, making better use of the space and getting rid of and relocating things that we don't need in there. He's got good spacial vision, so he visualized what he'd need and took off to the store for storage containers and shelving and racks - there are (6) shelves in there and I don't think we were using any of them particularly well before. I also gave him back 60% more 'space' for more of his things. I have really downsized what I will keep - a lot more things of mine to donate to charity. In the evening, after dinner, when it was cooler out front, Dave and I tackled the project of trimming down the 8' tall Laventera bush in the front yard, with its long stocks of light purple flowers almost spent - it has been in bloom and quite pretty for the last (2) months. He did the big cutting and then I held the branches over the yard waste can, so he could cut them up quickly and easily. We both got some serious exercise doing that - me with a lot of bending up and down and him working his shoulders to the max.
The yard looks good and the closet looks organized and accessible. A good day's work.
I did take a couple of Tylenol ES when I came in from the yard in the morning and again after we finished in the evening. Not too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home