Wed May 30th - Dr Curcio appt - Drain Out, Finally!
I drove myself to my appt with Dr Curcio.It felt good to drive myself, as I haven't driven much since my surgery - 33 days ago. Since the surgical drain is barely draining anymore, Dr Curcio removed it - the removal didn't hurt too much, as I have a pretty good infection going this morning and that hurts more. Dave had a dental appt with Dr Campbell, that had been rescheduled twice already, so he went to that and I went to mine. I went to the pharmacy and got my prescription filled for an antibiotic to counter the infection and started on that 10 day regime. I wasn't running a fever, so that was good and my blood pressure was normal too. Dr Curcio had given me a referral to 'Gina', a specialized physical therapist and lymphedema specialist, who I called and got an appt for next Wed, June 6th to have her evaluate me, fit me for a lymphedema sleeve and work with me to improve my range of motion - as I am on hold for radiation therapy until I can reach and hold my arm still over my head. The clock is ticking - its been 4 1/2 weeks since my surgery.After lunch, Dave took me to my afternoon appt with Dr Okun for my weekly infusion. I asked Dr Okun the questions I had: 1) how certain are we that the 'occult or hidden' primary of my cancer started in my right breast? His answer: "99% sure, based on the pathology report of the lymph node tumors and the immunohistological pathology report of the lymph node tumors that Dr Curcio removed from my right axilla. My other question, (Dave's actually): Are there any upcoming treatments - radiation or chemotherapy - that if I have radiation at this time, I remove my ability to take advantage of them? His answer:"No. The radiation is for further site control after the surgery - to really knock down the chance of recurrence in my right breast and axilla. I am already on the latest targeted therapy - I'm up to Dose #21 now and will continue on that for at least another 31 weekly infusion doses." The new chemotherapies , the targeted chemotherapies, are if the cancer doesn't respond to what I've already had done - so there are still weapons in the arsenal, if need be. My RBC's were just a tad low and everything else was within normal ranges - so that was good. And yes, after Phyllis drew blood from the back of my left hand at the outside of my wrist (she can't use my right arm at all anymore after the surgery) - she went to start my infusion and low and behold - my port gave her blood for the first time, since right after I had it installed back in February! So I donated twice today.
On the drive home, I told Dave that I have decided to proceed with the radiation therapy treatment that Dr Chou has outlined for me. Dave has been very hopeful that I would not have to have radiation therapy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home