Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Info About Radiation Center

I asked a couple of questions of Carla and Brian, yesterday during my treatment.

Carla mentioned in passing, that on days when the computer is running slow and the machine isn't cooperating, she longs for the 'old days' - 'when you just came in - lined up and flipped the switch - pretty simple'. Carla has been in radiation oncology for 25 years and in medicine for a total of 40 years - she began her career as a nurse. She told me that fair skinned people seem to recover better - skin wise - from radiation therapy, usually because they have stayed out of the sun to begin with, so it isn't 'damage on damage'. I will hope for that - as I am very fair skinned. I asked Brian and Carla how many people they treat each day? It turns out that Mission Radiation Oncology Center treats 40 people a day. That's a lot of people, and with only (2) machines. Brian reminded me that that's only one center - Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach treats 110 people a day. (Quick math - 150 people a day/ for average 6 weeks cycles / 52 weeks in a year, so at least, 1300 people a year treated with radiation for cancer, at just those (2) centers, ALONE!)
So, I delved deeper: did Carla, based on her years of experience in the field, think that more people being treated with radiation for cancer was a function of more doctors prescribing it?, or the type of cancers requiring it?, or just more people with cancer?
Carla's answer: "I think we are seeing more people developing cancer with this generation."

OK, that's eerie. I didn't ask any more questions. That was enough info to absorb. And no, I don't find it particularly reassuring that I am in such a 'vast' company of people undergoing radiation therapy for treatment of cancers. That doesn't bode well for our future or that of our children and their children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home