Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Aftn Naps, Compression Wrap, Massage and Biafine

With the Biafine cream on, my skin feels calm enough, that I can focus on other things and I can sleep at night. However, I have to shower off the Biafine cream, 4 hours before my radiation treatments - so by 6 am every morning and then I can't put on anything to calm the burn and itch until after my radiation treatment each day - the 'challenging' hours, the 'try and distract myself' hours. Gina had recommended that while I can't rub the skin, that I can gently 'tap' the area that itches - so I'm tapping, almost like I'm doing rapid fire Morse Code on myself, sometimes - it helps, sort of. As the right side of my chest is swollen, a lot in the mornings - I wrap my entire chest with the compression bandage, after my shower and before I do my morning exercises and massage. The sharp nerve pains happen more often, but as I mentioned before, they hit without warning and go away just as quickly. I am so thankful for the Biafine cream - it has given me a lot of relief. I started on my second tube of Biafine, on Tuesday evening, 7/31. (They had noted on the instructions, how it was important to not miss a dose while on radiation therapy - I can understand that.) The feeling I get after having my radiation treatments is not an instant one, more cumulative and gains momentum each day. I definitely feel that I've had something hit my body. My ability to eat has held in there OK, its just that I don't feel particularly hungry and so, I'm eating because I know I have to.
Sat 7/28 - Tues 7/31: I have felt really tired in the early afternoon - I go from "being OK", to "No, I have to sleep now", very quickly. I have taken a nap every afternoon from about 1 pm until 4 pm, and then I get up and I feel OK again. I go to sleep each night between 9 and 10 pm. Dave has been kind enough to wake me at 5:30 am, as he's leaving for his office - its not a pretty sight, I grant you - 5:30 am is not my idea of 'morning', but I have to get the Biafine off my skin 4 hours before my radiation treatment - so I'm up and at it, early!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home