Do Not Scratch The Itch! It's a 'Feature'!
I've been awake since 4:15 am. My skin itches - deep itch! I woke up, because I was rubbing my skin, it really itches! More aloe vera. For the last (2) nights - I've been able to sleep in our bed - changing the arrangement of my pillows has helped. Geez, does my skin ever itch, even with the aloe vera slathered on thick! I thought I'd be clever last night and not take anything to help me sleep. Wed. night, I took Tylenol PM to help me sleep and I woke up all dry mouthed and still feeling sleepy headed, I did get some rest however. Last night, I don't think I rested particularly well.Have I mentioned the random 'nerve' pain - 'sharp, there and gone, unpredictable' nerve pain, that shoots through my breast, under my arm, at my shoulder - not to worry, its a 'side effect' of the radiation and will go away after I stop radiation therapy, probably within a month after I stop, according to Dr Chou. (As my son, Justin pointed out, "its not a side effect, Mom - its a 'feature'!" From a running joke at his work: whenever there is a glitch in a computer software program, its not a 'bug', its a 'feature', all about positive spin and how you look at it.)
Side Effect or Feature - my skin really, really itches and no scratching allowed! (I foresee that due to this 'feature' - I'm going to be in a very pleasant mood, today.... OK, now I have 'phantom' itches on my head and my left forearm - Oh, joy!!) Woooo Whoooo, and I get another dose of 'itch causing, deep, must not scratch, itchy, irritating' radiation today! I can hardly wait! But, must have a positive spin - I only have (2) more weeks of radiation therapy left to do, of course, the side effects don't peak until a week after my last dose....! Whoever said that radiation therapy was a 'cake walk', easy, breezy, nothing - they LIED!
"Liar, liar, my breast's on fire! (and my shoulder and my back and under my arm!) Now I'm working myself up to being down right cranky! Zen. Gotta Zen this itch away. Maybe a cool shower will help and gently patting the skin dry, not rubbing, just a gentle, soft, soothing, caressing - SCRATCH!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home