Aug 9th - 'Drive By Gifting' , Mama & Heidi
Dave and I arrived home after our ride, after my treatment at the Hospital and as we pulled up on the bike, Dave commented, "those don't look like the flowers I ordered for you, there in the shade on the front porch."Sure enough, my sister Heidi and Mama, had left a gorgeous bouquet of summer flowers with a 'Congrats' balloon attached and sweet notes of 'Congratulations - on another big hurdle now behind me.'
Mama had also left the gifts she had gotten for our family from her recent Ireland trip. She had found a perfect little gift for me: a Waterford crystal thimble. (Waterford crystal is made in Ireland) Why is a thimble the perfect gift? Its what I asked her for - it reminds me of her and her adventures, as she has been a life long lover of sewing and its small and light. Collecting thimbles started 6 years ago, to the date, actually, when we moved Mama up to live in Seattle with my youngest sister, Helene and her family. As Helene and I just about killed ourselves moving all her treasured books (very heavy) and sewing stuff and teaching stuff - we chided her that the only thing she could collect from here on out, was going to be small and light - I suggested a 'thimble collection'. We paid someone to move her back down to So Cal 2 years later - and while she still has her books and sewing and teaching stuff, she now also gives me 'thimbles' marking her adventures. Its just perfect.
I called them to thank them both, figuring that we had just missed them - no, they were home already, as Heidi had planned to just make sure that I had something 'pretty and special' when I arrived home today to celebrate the occasion. 'Drive By Gifting', how fun! That's my sister, Heidi and my Mom for you: they didn't want to disturb me, but wanted to surprise me - mission accomplished. (Actually, in fairness, this is reciprocal 'drive by gifting', as I have done the same thing to them in the past and no doubt will again in the future.) I thanked them both, very much - so thoughtful and we said our 'I Love You's' over the phone today. Heidi had put in her note that 'she looks forward to going places with me again' - I look forward to that also - Road tripping together.
Mama had written 'how proud they were of the way I handled this challenge, not one that I wanted, she knew' and then she triggered my tears, by adding "PS - The Emerson quote is an acknowledgment from Grandma Sheppard - if only in spirit."
The Ralph Waldo Emerson quote read, "The reward of a thing well done is to have done it."
I thought about Great Grandma Sheppard and how amazing she was and how much she loved me, and how much she loves me still, as I do her, if only in spirit. It was a very loving thing for Mama to say, as I draw strength from the memories and life lessons of my 'Beloved Great Grandma', as does my Mom.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home