Jeremy and His Catechism Class
Dec 16th Tuesday - Jeremy taught his class of 17 year old confirmation students at St. John's tonight. As he has had for the last several months, there were 36 kids in his class and they often stay after class to continue the discussion and they really have lively discussions. These kids have really connected with Jeremy and his style of teaching catechism, whether they decide to become 'confirmed' in the faith is entirely up to them.I told him that he needs to make sure that he writes down class notes, overall discussion points, etc., as he is teaching this class for the first time.
He and I usually have a good theological discussion after he gets home from class or the next day, which I find very interesting and I always learn something from him and I realize just how well read and educated Jeremy has become. He told me many years ago that he was an'autodidact'- meaning that he is one that learns things on his own, and in truth he is always learning something new and studying on his own, just because he wants to know, not because of any requirement or test - that to me is quite wonderful.
Jeremy is a very gifted teacher, like I told him long ago,"the best teachers in our family come every other generation: he and his brothers, my Mom and my GGMa, who taught in a little one room school house back at the beginning of the 1900's in Illinois.I can teach and I enjoy it, but my sons have ten times the amount of patience that I have and that makes them far better teachers.
Jeremy laughs when he tells me,"Momma, they call me,'Sir' and say they are in 'Mr. G's class!" Its funny to him,in a 'sweet moment kind of funny' way, as they are only 8 years younger than he is, at age 25. (Like his dad did, Jeremy is hitting his stride ,taking a leadership role and earning respect beyond his age and relative youth.)
Jeremy volunteers his time and talent to teach these kids. He's learned that its pretty confusing, overwhelming and for some of these kids, quite lonely, to be a 17 year old in today's world - the video game generation. They voluntarily attend his class and he voluntarily teaches it - yes, if they wish to attain confirmation they have to attend, but they are attending in large numbers each week and they are asking good questions, hard questions and they are listening to the answers and seeing if those answers make sense for them and their lives - to me that is the essence of real education, because when it comes down to it, what they learn they will either apply to their lives and the way they live or they won't, and if they value the lesson, they will teach it to those that they value and love - true education and learning.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home