Friday, August 14, 2009

Support for Nathan's Kidney Transplant

Wed night, Dave and I rode our bike to Yorba Linda to attend the first fundraiser for our biker friend, Tim Byrd's 24 year old son Nathan, who is suffering from kidney failure and is on the list for a kidney transplant at Loma Linda University Hospital.

It was a good turnout at the Canyon Inn. I was glad to see several of our other friends from the Harley Chapter had come out in support of Nathan, too.

Nathan has had to take medication for his kidneys since he was 15 years old.
When Dave and I arrived, Nathan slowly walked over to greet us. Nathan was walking with a cane and as we gently hugged, he told me that he had just had dialysis earlier today.

Kindness and Gratitude.
I really wanted to attend this fundraiser out of gratitude to Big Tim, who started the Freedom Ride to honor and support those who serve in our Armed Forces and returned injured (Tim is a Vietnam Vet). Tim also helped coordinate the UCLA Children's Hospital Toy Ride when we first joined the Chapter. He has donated his time and efforts helping at Rip's BAD Ride (Bikers Against Diabetes). But mostly, its more personal than all that to me: its because my big bad ass friend, Tim shaved his head - completely bald, in support of me, when I was going through chemo and lost all my hair.

I wish he and his family were not having to go through this, but since they are, Dave and I, and our many Harley friends can let them know that they are not alone.

And while we can't afford to contribute as much financially, as we perhaps could have before - we can still help out and so that's what we did, as did our friends.

Nathan does not have health insurance, so that makes his treatment that much more difficult, especially in these tough economic times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home