Full HOG Board Mtng 2007
Nov 16th, Thursday night - Dave and I attended the Board Meeting for our HOG Chapter, as next year he will serve as the Chapter's Treasurer and I will be the Chapter Secretary.To Our HOG Friends - Steve B, our new Director has a very laid back style - so I think that 2007 will be a good year for the Chapter. We did talk about removing 'personal agendas' from the Board: meaning no using our positions to promote our own personal causes within the Chapter, the 'Ride and Have Fun' credo of the Harley Owners Group (HOG) Charter and of course supporting the causes that the Dealership, our sponsor promotes - which include the OC Burn Out Ride and The UCLA Toy Ride.
That premise does have merit - as we are a social club - organized to share a love of riding Harleys. If we give equal time to all the good causes that our membership is involved in - we really move into being something else, not what we are chartered to do.
Dave and I love to ride and have fun. But we are also very philanthropic - we think its important to give back to the community - so next year we will continue to be supportive of 'Paint Your Heart Out Anaheim'*(helping seniors and disabled by painting their homes), 'RIP's BAD Ride* (Bikers Against Diabetes), SoCal Freedom Ride* (which benefits the Injured Marines and supports our troops), The OC Burn Out Ride* (proceeds go to the UCI Burn Center), Olive Crest Cruise 4 Kids Ride* (helping troubled and orphaned children),UCLA Children's Hospital Toy Run* (toys to Children's Hospital) and probably the one that we have been supportive of the longest and the most - the Breast Cancer 3Day Walk (raises funds for Breast Cancer research, treatment and cure), which I intend to raise funds and walk again in 2007 and Dave intends to serve again on the Moto Safety Crew in San Diego, Nov 9-11, 2007. Whether or not I can walk the whole 60 miles in 3 Days, as I have 6 times before, remains to be seen - but we believed in the cause before I had breast cancer and now that I have breast cancer - understandably, it continues to be our primary philanthropic cause to support.
So next year we will contribute time (10 event days - 5 of which incorporate riding) and raise money in support of the causes we believe in, without telling you all about it at the Chapter Meetings and making it a Chapter endorsed event.
(It is interesting to note that the charities marked with an asterisk (*) - Dave and I learned about and started participating in, after we became members of Anaheim-Fullerton HOG Chapter - its one of the many things we like about AF H-D & HOG Chapter - a lot of generous and caring people, who happen to love riding H-D motorcycles together.)
Even donating 10 days a year to charitable causes, still leaves a lot of time to 'Ride and Have Fun' - which we intend to do also.
Its not that our personal beliefs have changed - its that the positions that we hold on the Board mean we are representing not just ourselves and our views.
OK, now you know what we support and we won't need to do the public service announcement at the meetings. I'll step down off the soapbox now.
(I promised Steve B. that I would NOT take up a lot of time at our meetings next year - but since this is MY blog, I can take up all the time I want- you have the choice to read or not read.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home