Sunday, November 19, 2006

Nov 16th - Surprise! Candice in CA!

My sister, Heidi had sent me an email saying that she had 'something perishable' that she wanted to drop off on Thursday morning. I was looking forward to seeing her. Dave decided to work from home today, as the network at the office was down - that's costly. Heidi arrived carrying the cutest little crystal flower vase with little red, orange, white flower stems from her yard -'Exotic Love', it blooms in November - very pretty. Heidi looked especially energized and happy.

About 5 minutes after she and I had started chatting - there was a knock on the door and Dave went to answer it - my true present arrived - Candice, my niece walked through the front door!
She made a surprise visit to CA after arriving back in the US after serving with the USAF in Afghanistan. It was absolutely wonderful to see her and hug her - she looks great!
Her hair is down to the middle of her back now! The last time I saw her in person was at her wedding, a year ago June in Louisiana. It was wonderful to see her laughing and smiling.
She lost 17 lbs while in Afghanistan - imagine that. We all sat down at the kitchen table and just chatted - lots of catching up to do. Candice's phone rang and after saying 'hi', she handed the phone to me - it was her husband, Devon, USAF serving near the Kuwait/Iraq border - he sounded so homesick. After quickly telling him that he's always in our thoughts and that we look forward to him coming home soon (he's been there since Memorial Day), I gave the phone back to Candice, who took the call out on the back balcony looking west.

Heidi talked about picking her oldest daughter up at the airport and crying, with joy when she saw Candice and could hug her and kiss her - Candice arrived Sunday and will fly back to base and home in Georgia on Saturday - so a lot of people to try and see before she heads back.
I had told Candice that I didn't email her, after she found out that I had breast cancer, as I wanted her to be focused over there. It didn't stop either of us from worrying about the other. She said that she had been following my progress on this blogspot. I filled her in on her cousins and she told me that she was looking forward to going out with Justin and Melissa and Jeremy tonight - dancing and celebrating - just like her cousins, Candice loves to dance, and she was excited that her best friend, Krista would be joining them too!

It was getting near lunch time and as I can't really do the whole public crowd thing at a restaurant, Dave offered to go pick up some lunch for all of us. What sounded good?
'IN and OUT BURGER' - so Dave took Candice with him, in the Mini Cooper S convertible and reminded Candice of why she will always be a 'California Girl' at heart - driving in November, with the top down, 85 degrees outside and a nice cooling breeze blowing through your hair.
They took the long way back up to the house. He drove her through nearby Live Oak Canyon - and did his 'Italian Job' driving demo, where he turns the Mini around on a dime and heads back the other way - she said it was fun.
I don't imagine you can shake up her up too easily, as her day job involves helicopters.

Lunch tasted wonderful! Double Double well done! Candice had her burger, 'animal style'.
Trying to beat the insane traffic on the east 91 Fwy - Heidi and Candice left after lunch, after extending an invitation to the BBQ that Heidi was hosting at her house for Candice tomorrow about 3 pm. I asked Dave what we had going? Nothing, but he really didn't want me to go - low blood counts and all, but I promised to take a nap in the morning and wear my cute little med/surgical mask and stay away from anyone that was sick - like my Mom, who had a bit of a cold and if I started to feel too tired: we'd leave - he caved and said that we would be there!
We took a picture together out on the front porch and Candice and Heidi left - Candice driving the little blue rental car that Mama had gotten for her. (Heidi paid for the plane ticket - just needed to see her girl!)
It was a great visit and with a smile on my face, I took a 3 hour nap and really rested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home