My Week Off and I Need a Port
My week off from chemo treatment, really didn't turn out to be a week off - I still ended up having part of my chemo treatment this week and the blood check, but thankfully - NO Procrit was needed, as my Hemoglobin count was low normal this week - my left arm is still sore and tingling from last week's shot - nothing that a Tylenol won't stay ahead of. You can imagine my let down with being told that I was going to be 'treated' today. Because it was only supposed to be a blood check and maybe a Procrit shot - Dave didn't come home to take me to my appt - he continued working at his office.Thankfully, Phyllis was my nurse today (although Shirley was also working today) - anyway, Phyllis tried to get a line on my right forearm - no go - so she tried the left arm and got a line at the inside of the elbow - but she told me that it was tough even for her. She then told me that she was going to recommend that I get a 'port' put in - it requires surgery and she said that Dr. Curcio does beautiful ports - that we can't keep beating up my veins this way. Dr Okun concurred and asked me to call Dr Curcio as soon as I could to schedule the surgery.
Last week, I had serious 'port' envy, as my veins are just tired and bruised and I'm not done yet.
So my 20 minute appt turned into an hour - oh, and they raised the rate on the parking at the hospital - it used to be up to 30 minutes was free and then up to an hour was $1.00 - now it's up to 30 minutes is $2.00, up to an hour is $3.oo and over that is $4.00
So as I drove home, this latest turn of events caught up with me and I started crying and then I calmed down and figured OK - schedule the surgery for as soon as I can, because I will have a full chemo treatment starting again next week. Dr Okun is also interested to see how I do this week - side effect wise - as the rash on my skin isn't improving. They definitely think I'm very SENSITIVE - nothing that I didn't already know and tried to tell them. I have been rather fortunate to not have needed a lot of drugs before this, but whether it was medication or anesthesia - a little goes a long way for me, and always has. So, I prepared myself mentally to call Dr Curcio and schedule the surgery to have the port put in and then I got home and Dave surprised me by being there to greet me - he was ready to celebrate - I got out of the car and started crying all over again, told him what had happened and what needed to happen.
I then called Dr Curcio's office and left a message regarding my need for a 'port' surgery per Dr. Okun. Dave felt badly that he hadn't gone with me to this appt - he was upset, I was upset.
We're not celebrating - we're just trying to calm down and stay focused on what needs to happen next. So, no, I am really not getting a week off from chemo and now, I have an added surgery to get ready for. I'm not much in the mood to talk about it right now.
Dave had me take a Tylenol and put ice packs on both arms and drink water to re-hydrate.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home