Thursday, June 07, 2007

Good Advice from Flight Attendants

I was thinking about how I've been rather 'self-absorbed' these last several months and it reminded me of what the flight attendants tell you in their pre-flight safety talk: "In the event of an emergency, put your oxygen mask on first, before you assist other people." Good advice - how can you expect to help other people, if you're down for the count yourself? You can't. So, I'm doing just that, I'm putting me first, for awhile more at least. I think my family and friends understand this, at least on a conscious level, but they're just not used to it from me. I'm not used to feeling this way, as it has always been my nature to put the needs of others before my own.

The other thing that has been somewhat challenging to me is being OK with letting other people help me. These last 9 months I've needed more help than at any other time in my life outside of my childhood. Even when I was pregnant, after I had our children, which were (3) babies within 18 months of each other, when our children were seriously ill and in the hospital - I kept going. I prided myself on my ability to keep going and do things for myself and others, even in the face of adversity. This has been a humbling experience for me and at times, very frustrating, to need so much help and to not be able to do what I would like to do - on my own.
On the other side of that thought however, is my absolute amazement at how much people are willing to do for me, at their generosity of spirit towards me - the love and concern they have for me - and the joy it gives them to be helpful and caring of me. This has been a revelation of sorts for me - that I engender so much love and caring. Thank you, all. Thank you, too, for the times when you know I just need to do things on my own again, at my pace and in my own way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home