Thursday, June 07, 2007

June 5th - Remembering Dad G

My father-in-law, Pete would have been 74 years old today. Dave called his Mom and they chatted about Dad, and about her. That's a good thing. I remember at one point in Dad's and my relationship thinking that he wasn't particularly strong, that certainly didn't turn out to be the case: he survived a bad car crash, recovered from a broken back and badly broken foot and ankle - he battled cancer , both prostate and lung cancer - hard, and showed a strength and grace that I don't think I'll ever reach. His humor, or as his family would say, his 'lack of their sense of humor' was a gift - he loved goofy jokes and we remember him, every time we would tell the kids: "eat every bean and pea on your plate" - just goofy. Seeing our nephew, Kyle as a firefighter, also keeps Dad G's memory alive, as he served as a San Dimas Sheriff (Reserve) for over 30 years and loved it - to protect and serve, first and foremost. When I think of Dad G now, almost 6 years after his passing - I think of, 'Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God". I know Dad was a peacemaker and that he is at peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home