Weekly Infusion & Talking Baseball
I arrived in the infusion room and sat down so that 'Carolina', an elderly woman who's receiving infusions every day, and I could chat - its hard for her to turn her head to the right, so I found a place under the TV, where she would be able to look left. The baseball game was on the TV: California Angels vs Minnesota Twins and there sat (2) men receiving their chemo infusions and watching - 'Gary' with his Angel's ball cap on, was giving a running commentary, like MLB announcers Vin Scully or Steve Physioc, for 'Bob', who lately really hasn't been feeling well - it was good to see him enjoying the game. Gary was contagious in his enthusiasm, so I moved near his wife, Jamie, so I could see the game too and still leave a place for Carolina. It turns out that Gary is a retired middle school math teacher and phys ed coach who played baseball through high school, college and semi pro ball. We had a great time chatting - as I remembered how much I enjoyed playing and coaching softball and watching baseball.Gary shared stories of his playing years - how he could field and hit well, but he just didn't have the speed. He played third and second base. I told him I had played third base also, and shortstop and center field - I could hit, field and I had serious speed - and even though they had us play in short culotte shorts, it didn't stop me from stealing bases and sliding into a base. Although in fairness, I was so fast and gutsy, tagging second base on a deep fly ball to the outfield and not only taking third, but roaring straight on into home to score, that I didn't end up sliding too much. Although my ankles crack when I go upstairs, a reminder of my softball sliding days. I truly loved playing softball, I loved the game and the way I was able to play it. (I broke my Dad's heart because I chose to continue playing volleyball in college, instead of going semi-pro in softball.) Dave and my sons don't really like baseball/softball - they think its too slow - so I don't get many opportunities to chat about my softball/baseball experiences - it was fun. Carolina just listened to us talk - she was having a good day today - her body may be bruised and battered, but her eyes were bright and her spirit seemed strong today. Last week she was so weary, that she just slept during her treatment - she is going up to City of Hope in Duarte tomorrow, for a whole day of treatment - she's part of a clinical trial up there. So she goes to treatments either in Mission Viejo or at City of Hope in Duarte, every week day. I finished with my treatment and Gary finished with his and while we waited for our nurses to come unhook us - we talked more baseball and watched the game. I commented to Phyllis, my nurse that her nurse's smock was quite cute and had a real mod 60's feel going on. I asked her where she was during the 60's - what's the saying:"If you remember the 60's you weren't really there!" She remembered the 60's - quite well - '62,'63,'64 she was in nursing school - she didn't get 'wild' until the late '60's and into the early 70's. We chatted about her music major son and his move later this summer to a house near his college. I caught up with Dr Okun, after I said 'hello' and gave a gentle, but firm hug to my little old white-haired Irish lady friend and her husband, who I haven't seen for several months. As she said, "good to see you, just not under these circumstances" - she's feeling tired, but her eyes are still bright and she reminded me, "they told me I had a month to live, and that was 4 years ago - so you just keep going." Her husband complimented my hair, as I just wore my Oklahoma straw sunflower hat today over my hair - no wig today. I told Dr Okun that Dave and I had bottomed out on Saturday, but that after meeting with the physical therapist/lymphedema specialist today and getting my exercises - something I could take action on and the timeline of 2 weeks more recovery before I start radiation therapy for 30 doses - that I felt better. He understands that feeling and he understands that its been a long haul for Dave and I, too. I like his ability to make me feel like I'm his primary concern, but also his empathy and perspective, as a man, to see things from Dave's viewpoint too - I feel lucky to have him as my doctor.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home