Monday, September 01, 2008

I'm Home After A Great H-D 105th Celebration

August 31st Sunday night - I arrived home in time to enjoy the sunset - quite beautiful! It was great to celebrate the H-D 105th anniversary and be with friends and make new friends, but its really good to be home again. Jeremy came and picked me up at the airport - very sweet of him.
My luggage - one large, rolling bag, which cost me an additional $15 dollars on United Airlines to bring home, yeah, my luggage, obviously wasn't done traveling as it was sent to Raleigh, NC.
(United Airlines will deliver it to my home tomorrow morning. Oh darn, it just means that I couldn't start doing laundry yet - fine by me.)
I called Dave and let him know I arrived safely. Jeremy and I just sat in the kitchen and talked and caught up - about him, about me - we had a lot to catch up on - I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with my son. Xena, my dog, was sticking close - she was so excited to see me, but she was tired after keeping the vigil for my return, so as long as she could see and hear me - she slept nearby, while we talked and watched Barack Obama's acceptance speech for the Democratic nomination as President of the United States at the Democratic National Convention, which was held in Denver, Colorado last week, while I was in Milwaukee. Jeremy had downloaded the speech onto his computer from iTunes. He told me that iTunes charged a $1.00 to download it and that they had over a million people download the speech - the impact of the internet in this campaign for the US Presidency. (All 3 of my sons are Barack Obama grassroots supporters and intend to vote for Obama for President. Obama has inspired and engaged them in the American democratic process and they have all delved into understanding what's at stake in this election, before they cast their vote - they are far more 'educated' on the issues than I was at 25 and 27 years old, that's for sure! Their access to the internet has helped that tremendously - if they want to know about 'offshore drilling', for instance - they goggle it and research it themselves - because they want to know, amazing! And then they send the link to their family and friends - in an instant - truly amazing!)
It was a very good speech and it was great to be able to see it and then chat politics with my son and do a little give and take about our views of what America needs in the next 4 years.

Barack Obama can really deliver a speech and there were parts of the speech where he was extremely powerful and very persuasive - such a contrast to President Bush's speaking skills, which leave a lot to be desired and which pretty much always leave me wondering what President Bush's 'native' language is, because he can certainly slaughter the English language like a non-native speaker.

I am looking forward to hearing what John McCain, the Republican nominee for President, will have to say this next week in Minneapolis/ St. Paul, Minnesota at the Republican National Convention. (When I called Dave, who is riding home on our Harley from Milwaukee with our friends, Michael and Ralph - they were spending the night in Redwing, MN, just on the outskirts of Minneapolis, MN, after riding all day.)

Finally, even though I was thoroughly enjoying Jeremy's company and our talk - I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. It had been a late Saturday night and an early start this morning and I've had just enough time in the US central time zone, that I'm running 2 hours ahead - which is why I'm up so early this morning - so I grabbed a quick shower, turned on my 'sleep music' and got a good night's rest.

It was a great trip! I had a really wonderful time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home