Sunday, January 11, 2009

Passing the Torch and Planning Meeting

Jan 11th - Dave rode the Harley to the Full HOG planning meeting for 2009, held in Yorba Linda from noon until they finish planning out all the rides and activities for 2009, which will take awhile. There are (40) Road Captains in the Chapter and the new Board and Committee Leads.
I gave Dave our completed membership applications - another thing that Dave did really well as Director/Webmaster: I was able to download and print the 2009 membership applications right off our Chapter website - so we could fill them out and Dave could just be able to hand them to Sheryl E., our Membership Chair, today at the planning meeting, paying our annual dues of $24.00 per person for a whole year of fun.(Dave has been a 'Life' member for a couple of years now and I just moved to 'Life' member status in National HOG this year.)
Dave carefully removed the Chapter's Director's Stars from his vest,(which were given to him by our friend and the 2007 Director Steve B. when Dave became Director in 2008) in preparation of presenting them to our new FullHOG Director for 2009, Rick L. at today's meeting.
Beautiful weather when Dave took off on the bike. He's wearing jeans,short sleeves and his leather vest - so he'd have some wind protection but not overheat while riding today. It's clear and warm and the Santa Ana winds weren't blowing like they were earlier this morning.It's calm for the time being.
Dave will update the Chapter website after the meeting, loading in the 2009 Chapter ride and activity dates, as he is still the Webmaster for our Chapter and he is still a Road Captain. He and Rick will co-lead the first ride of the year, our 'Polar Bear Ride' which is scheduled for Jan 25th Sunday, as traditionally that is the true 'passing of the torch' of Chapter leadership with the outgoing Director Dave and the incoming Director Rick sharing the ride leadership and then it will be all Rick's responsibility after that.
Dave did a great job as Director last year, even when it wasn't fun at times. Now we'll be able to get back to just having fun in the Chapter - we're not on duty this year. I feel good about the fact that Beth T. will be taking over on my old position as Chapter Secretary. She will do a great job, just as she has done on our Chapter Hotline for the last couple of years.
I am pleased to know that the Chapter will continue without me in a Board or Committee position, as that allows me to just socialize at the meetings and rides this year.
I've got a lot of friends to catch up with and just enjoy riding with, which is what I intend to do this year. I may not even bring my camera this year and instead, just savor being 'in the moment', as opposed to 'capturing the moment'. However, I do really enjoy taking pictures and getting the shot that captures the moment, so we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home