Friday, February 13, 2009

The Other 89 Days - Doing Good

Feb 4th Wed - I went for my 3 month re-check appt at Mission Hospital with my medical oncologist, Dr Okun today.
In anticipation of this particular appt and having the blood work done and getting the results - I got a bit anxious.
Okay, I was awake half the night before - unable to quiet my mind.

I arrived in plenty of time. I parked my car, finding a parking spot - the construction is really coming along on the new tower of Mission Hospital. I took the (3) flights of stairs up to my appt, as opposed to waiting for the elevator. Eddie drew my blood, using a small butterfly needle and he is very good, so I had minimal discomfort. I was laughing and smiling and the office staff were all glad to see me again and commented on 'all the hair' I have now. I refuse to be afraid in that office. They ran my counts and Dr Okun came in and handed me my copy of my blood report - all counts in normal ranges.
Deep sigh of relief.
I asked Dr Okun if I was 'stuck', because I had been unable to sleep and feeling anxious the night before coming in to see him. He told me that that 'anxious' feeling will probably never completely go away, however... and this is the part that I want to emphasize - he told me, "we only see each other every 90 days, and if for the other 89 days, 'it' ( the fear of cancer recurrence) isn't in the forefront of your mind, then you're doing good.
So, based on that definition - I'm doing good!

In fact, I really am doing good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home