Esther's Restaurant Closed
The little sandwich/ smoothie shop that I thoroughly enjoyed going to on a regular basis, has closed. I got the chance to wish Esther well and enjoy my favorite order: a turkey/avocado sandwich on whole grain, with extra avocado and a java jumper smoothie. I took her a basket of daffodils. She tried hard to be upbeat about the whole thing, that she will have time to spend with her husband and daughter, Emily, who is getting ready to start high school. I told her that Emily will need her close, as being a teenager in the US, is different than being a teenager in South Korea, which is where she grew up.The landlord of the property has really been stupid and rather short sighted, I think - they asked her to sign another (5) year lease and put a rent increase in, to make up for lost revenue from other businesses in the center closing down. They finally agreed to go month by month, for Nov thru Feb 2009 and held the rent at the same rate as before until March 1st, 2009 - when Esther told them that she was closing - she couldn't afford to stay in business anymore - with costs going up and business dropping off.(Her food and ingredients are fresh and in many cases, organically grown - which is what I loved about it, but that comes with a higher cost.)
She worked there (6)days a week for (5)years and (3)months.
She and I became friends, over that time, and I will miss seeing her smiling face and enjoying her good food.
She spoke of trying to find a part time job, but now is a difficult time to be looking for a job , even as industrious and hardworking as she is.
I am grateful that she will be able to be there more for her daughter, Emily and her husband, Shin, as I know that they will very much enjoy having her company, full time again.
The space stands vacant now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home