Tuesday, April 28, 2009

To Say 'Thank You'

Last week, I had gone into our bank and the only other person being helped at the counter was a woman, a little younger than me, wearing the dark blue 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk shirt for 2001, which was the first year I had participated in the event: we walked 60 miles in 3 Days from Santa Barbara to Zuma Beach in Malibu, CA. It was the first of my many amazing experiences being involved with the BC 3Day fund raising event. I seem to recall that in that weekend alone, with over 5,000 walkers, we raised $16.4 million to find a cure to end breast cancer.
It was before I knew that I would personally need that cure.
The 'blue' shirt was the award for finishing the 60 miles. I have (6) of the 'victory' BC 3Day shirts now.(If you're a BC survivor and walked, you received a pink shirt - on the 2001 walk, there was probably (1) pink shirt for every (9) blue shirts - I remember crying when the BC survivors entered the closing ceremonies last, wearing their pink shirts, walking hand and hand, surrounded by those of us in our blue shirts and the volunteer crew in their white shirts.)

I touched her on the sleeve and said 'thank you for walking the 3 Day, I walked that one, too'. (Really, its 'thank you' for the funds raised, as each walker had to raise a minimum of $1,900.00 to be able to walk in the 3Day)
She smiled,'Oh, you're welcome.' She was still at the counter when I finished my banking. She turned and asked,"did you know someone who had breast cancer?"
It was the strangest feeling, I heard the words coming out of my mouth, but I was emotionally detached from them: "Yes, I did - me."
I flashed her a smile, as I walked past her and out of the bank and into the afternoon sunshine. Judging from the look on her face, I had startled her with my words. Unexpected. Mindful Gratitude.

I also remember about that 2001 BC walk, was that the themes of the book, "Random Acts of Kindness" was in full effect throughout the event. Gratitude. It was also the 1st walk that was held following the attacks of 9-11 and I remember signing a banner that went in support of the NYC 3 Day walkers, a huge feeling of we will overcome and we are united - coast to coast, it was a time of very personal connection.

Lynn and her husband Bill.
Last Tuesday night, while Dave was at his Harley Road Captain's meeting, I had run over to Staples and Aaron Bros., in a last minute search for more black ink for our printer and a couple of frames for the photos of Brent and Adriana's Wedding that I wanted to give to my mom the following day. As I came into Staples, there was Lynn, who works in Dr Okun's office, she handles the medical insurance billing - she called out, 'hello' and I called back 'hi', with a quick wave, as I continued on my task of getting a replacement ink cartridge, before they closed the store for the evening. Done.
I then walked across the parking lot, (2) stores over to the Aaron Bros. frames and art supply store, and as I approached the door, a friendly older man called out to me,"my wife Lynn says you ride motorcycles. What do you think about them closing Live Oak Canyon traffic to only residents that live there?"
I told him that I hadn't heard that, and that it must be in response to the recent death of a HS student from RSM Catholic HS, who was killed in an auto accident while driving the twisty turns of the canyon. (Live Oak Canyon is just a 1/2 mile over the hill from us and it is a favorite road for us to ride on our Harley, finishing at Cook's Corner and then continuing either down El Toro Road or up through Santiago Canyon Road past Irvine Lake - good, challenging riding roads for motorcycles, cars and lots of bicyclists.)

He introduced himself, "I'm Bill, Lynn's husband." I shook his hand and we went into the store, where Lynn was looking at the art supplies.
Lynn greeted me with a big smile and a hug. I shared the photos I was getting frames for with them: photos of our family at Brent and Adriana's wedding. There I was, in the photo, smiling at the camera, wearing my short, dark reddish brunette wig, because I had no hair due to the chemo treatments. The photo was taken on May 19th, 2007 - just 3 weeks after I had had surgery to remove my cancerous lymph nodes. From the smile on my face and on the faces of my family, you'd never know.
Lynn remembered me from my 'wig/ no hair days'. I told her that I was doing well and asked after her, saying that while I loved seeing everyone at Dr Okun's office, I really didn't want to be 'in the office'. She understood. She said it was much better to see each other, out here, not in the medical oncology office.
I told her that we were expecting our first grandbaby in 87 more days and they shared a photo of their granddaughter who lives in Chicago, a cute, dark haired 4 year old, that they get to see each summer in Minnesota. I said,'she's worth a trip to Chicago, just to see her." They nodded their heads in agreement.
Bill said that he was upset about them closing the Canyon Road, as he goes back there to take photos to use for his paintings. "You paint?", I asked. "Oh yes, both of us do. I have copyrighted the painting of the old Trabuco Canyon store."
Lynn added, "You know all the oil paintings that are in Dr Okun's office, we painted them."
Immediately, my mind remembered the painting of the old Date Shack on PCH and the one of the old general store in Trabuco Canyon, from my weekly visits to Dr Okun's office. They were what I would focus my mind on, as I was getting my chemo treatments and blood draws - the sunshine, the bold colors, the 'being someplace else, rather than there" - iconic, landscape oil paintings of South Orange County.
How wonderful to get the chance to thank them, personally - they added to my good healing with their art.
As I gave them each a big hug, I thanked them both, telling them that their paintings were very soothing to me while I was having my treatments.
Their faces both lit up with quiet pride.
Lynn promised to let Phyllis, my nurse know that she had seen me and that I was doing well and that Dave and I are expecting a grandbaby in just 87 more days!
And with that, they looked for new blank oil canvases and I found the frames I came in to get - perfect.
Unexpected. Mindful Gratitude. To just say, 'Thank You.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home