Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Nov 18th - New Computer, Passwords and Naps

Sat, Nov 18th - I slept in late. Dave had already been out to get his morning coffee and had enjoyed our spa. (I do miss being able to enjoy our spa together.) After I got up, he took off and ran errands until lunch - picking up his new computer.

Last Monday, I started using the new computer that Dave had bought and set up for me - an iMac - it is quite an amazing machine. Back in early August, I had commented, in passing to Dave, that I wanted to make sure that we had our family photos and accounting backed up well - as there had been more times when I'd been running a couple of applications on my PC laptop at the same time - it would overheat and crash my system.
So, Dave actually WAITED until now to replace my PC with an iMac computer - as he said it would be easier for me to use, especially when dealing with photos, etc. He set it up with the latest version of Quicken and transferred all my files off my old system and onto the new.
I have always handled our family accounting and I continue to do so. I do a lot more of it online, which requires account names and passwords.
Dave was surprised that I didn't have that info auto-saved on my system - so he showed me how to do that - it was not a function of not knowing how - I choose to not have the system remember. He kind of pressed on, showing how easy it was and then it occurred to me that we were having one of those moments - I call them ' delicate conversation' moments and we've had a few since I was diagnosed with BC.
Without asking directly - I could tell he wanted the account names and passwords available - in case he needs to access them. And while that is a very reasonable thing for him to know - it brings to mind scenarios where he would need to manage our accounts, etc. and that's where the 'delicate' part comes into play - its the emotion and where my mind goes - that turns a reasonable, practical thing like Dave knowing account names and passwords into something else. But in reality, it is important that we take care of a couple of things - just to be prepared.
I am grateful that Dave is very competent financially and if I am unable to manage things - I know that he can - so there is comfort in that knowledge. So passwords and accounts are now accessible to him. Done.

We ate lunch and I was really feeling drowsy. My hands, feet and head were cold and since we had the air conditioner going - its mid November and its 85 degrees outside - I figured I was just tired. I put on my gloves, socks and my soft beanie and went to sleep in my chair - I woke 3 1/2 hours later - a much needed rest. Dave had been quietly working on setting up his new iMac computer - he is very impressed with the iMac's capabilities and that's really saying something - as he pushes the limits on his PC constantly - its his business - so to have him WOWED with iMac's is HUGE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home