Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Jan 9th - Dental Appt - Just In Time

At the urging of my Mom and Dave, I made an appointment to see our family dentists, Michael and Elisa Campbell - our dentists and friends for 20 years. I had to wait until I knew what the effects of this round of chemo would be - dental appointments and nausea don't mix.

It was good that I was able to have my teeth examined and cleaned even as I'm still going through chemo, because the chemo is having an adverse effect on my teeth and gums - mostly because of the chemo is changing the pH in my mouth and changing my body's ability to deal with daily bacteria.

I am fortunate, as I started chemo with my teeth and gums in very good condition.
After 14 weeks of chemo so far, my gums are bleeding and inflamed and I have the beginnings of softening and decay at the gum level of several of my teeth. I seem to have more issues on the left side of mouth - probably because I'm grinding my teeth with the stress of all this.

So the plan is I go back in 5 weeks, Feb 19th - to have 4 fillings resealed - because decay was just starting. Today, I start on a more aggressive prevention program - a special dental rinse, flouride paste and now that I'm not suffering with nausea - I can use my mouth guard at night.

Another plus of today, Dave also got in to get his teeth checked and cleaned - very important, as he is not as fortunate with his teeth as I am, so he really needs to pay attention. I was glad that he got in today - its important that he takes care of himself, too.

Michael wasn't at the office, as he is dealing with the recent loss of his beloved mother.
We are saddened to hear of their loss. It was wonderful to see Elisa and to catch up with her and hear about their 2 children. Elisa didn't recognize me with my dark brunette wig, at first.
When she first saw me, she smiled and waved and the look is one I've seen repeatedly over these last 4 months - they know they know me, but they can't place me at first - its that dramatic a change - me being a 'brunette' as opposed to the life long blonde I've been.

I was grateful that Katie, the hygenist has such a wonderful touch - I know this from previous teeth cleanings - because today's cleaning was downright painful - not something that I normally experience. But I really feel like it was a little pain now, as opposed to a lot of pain later - so I'd deal with it.

When I feel more like going out, Elisa and Michael and Dave and I will all go out to dinner together. We hugged each other deeply - it was just good to see one another. I'm very glad that I got in to see Elisa, my dentist and my friend today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home