Saturday, February 17, 2007

Recovering From Surgery & Chemo Dose #07

My surgery on Tuesday afternoon, Feb 13th - went well - the portacatheter is in place.

I guess I had some reaction to the anesthesia, as I threw up after trying to eat some soup for dinner and then again the next morning, trying to keep some cereal down for breakfast.

I went to my Chemo appointment on Wednesday, Feb 14th - Valentine's Day and Phyllis was amazed that they already had the port in place and that Dr Curcio had been 'kind', by leaving a needle in place for them to use - Phyllis was able to use it for my chemo, however it didn't cooperate for the weekly blood draw - she found a vein on the inside of my right wrist that cooperated - everything else is pretty beat up and bruised. I felt some nausea during my chemo treatment, even with the anti nausea medicine they were giving me. They gave me a dose of anti nausea medicine - Zofran ODT - that dissolves on your tongue and did the job of holding the nausea at bay.

RN Michelle, took over for Phyllis, who had to leave and Michelle took off the dressing and tape, as my sensitive skin was already showing signs of irritation from the tape - Dave and I were amazed to see just a small incision covered by 2 steri strips and just below a very slight 'bump' where the portacatheter sits just under the skin.

My hemoglobin count was normal and so I didn't need a Procrit shot this time - that was good news. My RBC count is still low. I 'm taking the Vicodin for pain relief and that is doing a good job of keeping ahead of it. On Thursday, I made the mistake of trying to switch over to just Tylenol and the pain really got ahead of me by noon - Dave came home early from his office and my son, Brent who happened to call, also stopped by. I was hesitant to take the Vicodin, as I wasn't sure that the Vicodin wouldn't set me off - so I waited until Brent and Dave got home.

I slept Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights in my chair with an ice pack on the area of the surgery which is bruising - I propped my left arm up with a pillow and that made it more comfortable. Each night, I had a little more mobility and less pain in my left shoulder and arm. I'm chemo flashing. I have intermittent tingling of my left arm and down to my fingers.

I had called my Mom after the surgery to update her and asked her to please call each of my sisters for me. My son, Jeremy stopped by briefly on Friday morning to say 'hello'.
Friday morning, I left update messages for my sisters: Heidi, Heather and Helene. I called my Mom and we talked. I was able to get some laundry done, some accounting and some reading.

I was able to sleep in bed last night - propped up on pillows. I can't sleep on either side, as it immediately sends pressure and pain up to my head - just flat on my back - hopefully, I'll be able to sleep on my side again soon. I slept through the night - 10 hours worth and feel better this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home