Fire and Ice
June 12th - I woke up after a night of intense 'nightmarish' dreams. I had to re-tape my bandage on my arm. (Gina doesn't use the clips that come with the bandages, she uses tape - as the whole idea is to not take a chance on catching and cutting my skin.)Gina and I were talking yesterday, about the weekend and as her Dad also rides a Harley - we talked about bikers riding to raise funds for charity. I mentioned that the BAD Ride was this past Sunday and Gina had related that also on Sun, June 10th a huge group of bikers had raised $10K for the Coble family of Ladera Ranch. I had not heard the story of the Coble Family, so she related their story : (3) small children killed in a horrible car accident, when a semi truck plowed into the back of the van that their Mom was driving, with Grandma in the front passenger seat. The kids were in the backseat, strapped into their booster and carseats. Traffic on the 5 Fwy between Mission Viejo and San Juan Capistrano had stopped and the truck couldn't stop in time. I had seen the ribbons tied on all the trees lining the streets down near Ladera Ranch and Mission Viejo and on people's cars - (2) pink and (1) blue for the children, ages 5, 4 and 2 years old. The Mom and Grandma survived the crash. Only the Mom and Dad remain, all their children gone - suddenly.
I was reminded of where I was a year ago on Sunday, June 10th: Dave and I were (2) of the lead processional riders for our biker friend, Greg Mauldin's funeral. Greg had died in an instant too. I remember the shock and sadness and trying to bring some comfort to his family, especially his widow, Marie. I then remembered what another breast cancer survivor had said recently to me, "we get the opportunity to let people know how we feel about them before we pass away - there are those that just go suddenly. We get the opportunity to enjoy each day as a gift, to savor the preciousness of a moment together."
I thought of Robert Frost's Poem, "Fire and Ice", which I read for the first time as a young kid, I don't think I really understood it then - I didn't have enough life experience.
I understand it now.
"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
is also great
And would suffice."
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
The poem was published in Harper's Magazine, December 1920

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home